Sunday, October 12, 2008

Birth Letter to Zackariah

Date: 12/12/05

I wrote a birthletter to Zackariah here it is.

My Little Prince, Zackariah;
My name is Danielle. I'm 25 years old and I am your mother. I'm writing you this letter to help you understand how much of a miracle you truly are. On February 10, 2005, I went to the emergency room to be checked out by a doctor because I was very sick and couldn't understand why. It was then that I found out you were the reason. I was in total shock and disbelief. I even went home and took a home pregnancy test and the test lit up with a positive reading very fast. I could hardly believe my eyes. Another bundle of joy was on the way. I began my pregnancy by going to a midwife, Cathy, who had delivered your sister, Isabella. My midwife Cathy was very excited for us, but a bit shocked as well. On February 16, 2005, Cathy had set me up an appointment with the doctor she works with to perform a ultrasound to check things out. The results weren't very good. We were told to prepare ourselves for the worst. I had become pregnant with you on an IUD and we could not see you on the ultrasound. We only saw an empty sack where you should be. The doctor was sure that I would lose you but she agreed to wait it out. I was so upset over the thought of loosing you, even though I had just learned of your existence. I didn't even know how much I loved you and wanted you until I was told you would be taken from me. I prayed so hard for you to be okay. I was so scared to lose you. You meant so much to us already. On February 23, 2005 our prayers were answered when we had another ultrasound and saw you living and jumping around with a very strong heartbeat. When I saw you moving around tears rolled down my face. I had never felt that much joy and relief. It was an amazing feeling to know you were happy and healthy. Things were moving along, I was 15 weeks and went for a check up with my midwife Cathy on April 21 ,2005 and got another ultrasound; which I wasn't expecting but we got to find out that you were a little boy. I also got some devastating news on this day, Cathy told me that I could no longer be her patient. She was leaving the practice and had no idea where she would end up. I struggled to make a choice on who would see me through my pregnancy. I found another midwife, which took me a while to be comfortable with. I finally took to her. Her name was Grentchen, she was a very good midwife. She took very good care of me when you gave us a scare. I had fallen down and I started to contract and we thought you might try and come into this world a bit too early, but Grentchen watched me very close over the next few weeks as my contractions came and went. Things were going well, I felt almost ready for you to come when a very devastating thing happened to our state. A very powerful hurricane hit us. Many people lost there lives and many, if not all, lost their belongings. We had left town before the hurricane hit us, but our home had a lot of damage and most of the things we had for you were destroyed. We spent the last few months of my pregnancy jumping from one place to the next trying our best to hold everything together as a family. My midwife, Grentchen was in Texas. There wasn't any hospital open for quite some time. Life as we knew it had changed. I knew your birth was getting close so I had to make plans on what to do for it. I would make one decision, then change my mind. Our family was going though hard times and it was hard decision to make. I wanted nothing but the best for you. I am very happy how things have ended up. I found a midwife named Kami who was in the city I was staying in. We planned to deliver you in Dehem Springs. On September 28th, we headed up there to try to naturally induce you. I was so excited I couldn't wait to meet you and see your little face, however; the time just wasn't right. After a few hours of labor, my body shut down and the labor stopped. You needed a little longer inside me to get bigger and stronger. We now were staying at my grandmother's house. On October 6, 2005, a little after midnight, everyone had gone to bed and I realized I was contracting and they weren't stopping. It seemed that it was time for us to meet you. I was having very hard contractions one on top of another. My midwife wasn't sure I would make it to the birth place, so she had me come to where she was so she could check me first. We went to where she was at another birth. I was checked in at the back office since the other mother was laboring in the house. It was very interesting walking through the yard in the middle of the night in my bare feet while in labor. To my surprise you were right down there and almost ready to be pushed out. My midwife, Kami offered for me to come to her house to deliver you. We arrived at her house at 1:45 AM and she offered for me to delivery you on the bed or in the tub. I took the tub. I had a water birth with your sister, Isabella and I knew that I could do that again, so that was the plan. I got in the tub and your brothers Alexander and Cameron and sister, Isabella were there and watch as I pushed you out. On October 6, 2005 at 2:20 AM, we welcomed you into this world as a family. Your brother Alexander was the first the tell everyone we had another little boy. I held you in my arms as your brother Alexander cut your cord. Moments later both you and I got out of the tub and we went to the bed where we announced your name to your bothers and sister. Zackariah Elijah is what we had choose for you. As I was getting settled into bed, you were weighed and measured at 6 lbs 3 oz and 18 inches long. Then you and I cuddled in bed as we drifted off to sleep together. I was very happy to have had a perfectly happy and healthy little boy in such a laid back environment with all of my children there to share in the excitement in that wonderful moment when you came into this world and for my family to be the first to greet you. You are truly our miracle baby. You overcame many obstacles and we made it through some very hard times and you have truly been a wonderful addition to our family.

Love you Always,
Mommy

No comments: